Sunday, May 22, 2011

Works In Progress!

When I first started knitting regularly last November, I really thought I'd be a one-at-a-time project knitter. I worked on a seed stitch scarf for about three months and was totally content. For those of you who've never done seed stitch, it's probably one of the slowest of the basic stitches. And, I had casted on 37 stitches. But I was fine, totally fine!
But nowadays, when I'm mid-project I'm always ITCHING for the next one. I started working on my first pair of socks last week. I was at Michael's and saw for the first time their whole new yarn collection. I was pretty much flabbergasted (and not in a completely good way) by all the changes they made, and with my heart beating, I saw the new "Luxury" sock yarn the michael's brand loops & threads has come out with. And i thought, why not?

Here are some things you need to know about this:

A. This picture quality is completely awful and the colors are totally off
B. This picture is also outdated, because I've since completed the heel flap and turned the heel (!!!)
C. It's been really interested working on this because I've never worked with such thin yarn and such tiny needles. Also, I've barely worked with DPNs so I've definitely gotten better at managing them with this project.
D. The next thing I need to do is pick up stitches for the gusset, which I'm nervous about since I've never picked up stitches before.

Regarding the yarn:
A. I should have picked one with lighter colors, because the darkness of the purples makes it difficult to work on during the evenings when the lighting is awful in my room. 
B. Its very soft and I would recommend it, although I don't think it's going to wear well.
C. I really think that they should make this yarn in solids because if they did I would totally buy a bunch to do lace, it's that soft. 

So yes, socks. And back to what I was saying earlier, about itching for the next project-while I totally like working on these socks (although I'm currently at a standstill because I need someone to show me how to pick up stitches, ie, my mother), I'm still itching about making something else. Currently on the horizons is a wrap with Caron Spa yarn (I have 4 balls I bought for a different project, but I dont think I'm going to use it for that. UGH!) and a pillow using at least some of the massive amounts of Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick I have. 

Oh and:

 
Yep, you guessed it. New washcloth, Lily Sugar n Cream.

1 comment:

  1. came across your blog and i just love reading blogs by people who are new to knitting! ive been knitting about 2 years but really started LOVING it around Christmas of last year, it's just so fun! Good luck and keep knitting!

    ReplyDelete