Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Confessions of a Washcloth Knitter

Okay, so here's the thing: something that I have learned through my many hours spent browsing ravelry is that knitters fall into two categories: dishcloth knitters, and knitters who would never even think to make one.
A few months ago, I would have definitely fell into the latter category. But then, with a ball of orange lion brand organic cotton in hand, I decided to get more comfortable with making increases and decreases. As I knit along on my diagonal square, I have to say I felt...silly. Embarrassed. When my boyfriend asked me what I was making, I mumbled, "oh-nothing-just-a-square-who-knows-what-okay-bye". When I finished up my 'square', I didn't even sew in the ends, I just put it on my desk. And I always sew in the ends.
But then I figured that I didn't have much to lose by trying out this oh-so-soft square as a *washcloth*. So I did. (I still can't even imagine using these as dishcloths, I'm sorry, but no)

And then I used it for four nights in a row without even washing it. There. I admit it.

It was just...oh so soft. I loved how the color grew richer when it became wet, I loved how squishy and rich it felt.
So then I made another, with a tighter gauge this time because I realized that water stretches knitting. And then another. And another. Then I used some stash lb cotton ease doubled, which made a whole different texture that I STILL loved. I use them exclusively at night when I wash my face and take off my make-up. It’s my own private luxury, that makes me feel comforted and calm.
So now I’ve got about eight of them. I use the grandmother’s favorite pattern for the most part, found here. I love making them, because they are so quick. When I don’t know what else to knit, I knit one. When I’m bored in the middle of a project, I knit one.


2 comments:

  1. I love knitting washclothes, they satisfy my need for instant knitting gratification. Sometimes I just need a project that's done as soon as I cast on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always the tried and true activity of sewing multiple cloths together to make a variety of knitted goodies i.e. blankets, throws, pillows, scarfs, baskets, etc. I know, stating the obvious, right? Though, making something new/inventive out of other things does ward off what monotony comes with the "just washcloth" syndrome/ rut.

    BTW, this is the most interesting yarny blog I've come across :) I'm enjoying every bit of the author's NY world ever so vicariously (so jealous). Thank you so much for sharing the adventures of Everywhere Knits!

    ReplyDelete